Re: Spam Solutions

From: Carl Gustafson (carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 05:26:59 PST

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:26:59 -0500
From: Carl Gustafson <carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Spam Solutions

Paul Burkhardt wrote:

>There seems to be an infinite loop of spammers. :) Once spammed, we can
>block that IP address, but that won't stop 'new' spams from reaching us. I
>propose two possible solutions to these 'new' spam messages. One is to
>have a script which tests for the IP address to see if it is a member of
>the list or not. There are some problems with this, mainly spammers can
>easily 'join' the list.

The list server could be configured to require postings to come only from
subscribers, that's built in already. The problem is that this then means
that you couldn't send mail to the list except from the system you
subscribed from. Since many folk will use other systems to send to the list
when travelling, this would make their life difficult.

Anyway, I expect that the list moderator already goes and adds spammer's
addresses to a kill list as fast as they arrive.

Note that since this list is set so that the reply-to header automatically
directs replys to the list and not to the sender, replying to the spam only
perpetuates it, especially when quoting the whole message unless you
manually change the address in your message.

Carl G.