Red S. Purps in fall

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 02 1997 - 21:55:13 PST

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 00:55:13 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Red S. Purps in fall

To all,

Over the past several years I've noticed an odd thing with my S.
Purpureas. Towards mid to late October my plants pitchers all go deep
red. I grow them outdoors in fish tanks that are located in a sunny spot
most of the year. They are given nothing but rain or distilled water and
are NEVER treated with any fertilizers. They develop nice red venations
during the spring and summer but never turn "all red" until this time of
year.

Could it be a combination of temperatures/diminished sunlight affecting
this colourful transformation? I gave a friend of mine, who lives 20
miles south of me, an S. Purpurea var. burkii back in late spring. That
speciman at the time was only lightly viened and in full growth. Well
today he stopped by my house to give me the plant back for "winter
safekeeping". Same as all the others- deep red throughout!

Picking N. Ampullarias off my maple trees,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio
markp@crscms.com