possible solution to spam

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 02 1997 - 05:44:53 PST

Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 07:44:53 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: possible solution to spam

Dear list,

There seems to be an infinite loop of spammers. :) Once spammed, we can
block that IP address, but that won't stop 'new' spams from reaching us. I
propose two possible solutions to these 'new' spam messages. One is to
have a script which tests for the IP address to see if it is a member of
the list or not. There are some problems with this, mainly spammers can
easily 'join' the list.

A second possible solution would be to have everyone preceed their subject
line with a 'key', such as 'CP'. A script can be written to check for this
'key'. An example subject line would be, "CP my vft is dying".

Or we can just put up with the spam.

Paul Burkhardt