Re:Re:CA bog adventure, capensis vs. rotund., etc.

From: Craig S. Gardner (cgardner@zapcom.net)
Date: Thu Oct 30 1997 - 21:27:55 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:27:55 -0800
From: "Craig S. Gardner" <cgardner@zapcom.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Re:CA bog adventure, capensis vs. rotund., etc.

Stefan

> I must really love these plants to visit this site because I had
> to constantly push through bushes and dodge water and mud before finding
> anything. I left the area with scratched arms and ruined shoes, but I
> did enjoy the experience.

I had the same experience the first time but now I know the best routes
to the sites I still get wet part of the time.

>I was able to find the following plants: Darlingtonia(even one clone
>with reduced/missing fangs-strange), various Sarrs, VFTs, D.capensis,
> D.rotund, and D.binata.

The reduced/missing fang Darlingtonia are due to something in the
environment I took stolons from some of these plants and moved them
to a different area of the bog and they now have normal fangs.

>The VFTs I found were growing well,
> but I didn't see any seedlings. Of the VFT sites I've seen in NC
> and naturalized in FL, VFT seedlings usually have a strong presence. The
> Sarrs at the N.CA site are growing and dividing, but they aren't
> thriving. Except for the purps, the growth was long and spindly.

The VFT are more recent additions and every time they start to do well
someone takes the plants. Strangely the S. purpurea normally produce
seed but the other Sarracenia rarely do. Many of the plants are growing
in areas that are becoming more and more shaded and the plants are very
tall and spindly but the one growing out in good sun grow normally.
 Perhaps

--
Happy Growing

Craig S. Gardner 173 Perry St. Ukiah, Ca. 95482 (707)462-5331