RE: Late Sarracenia flowers

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 1997 - 07:01:55 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:01:55 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Late Sarracenia flowers

> Greetings. I know that it is well into fall but
> something is happenning to me that has never
> happened before. My sarracenia are putting up
> flowers late in the season. A Minor X Psittacina
> already has a full bloom. A Flava Ornata has a bud
> coming up and a Mitcheliana appears to have a flower
> bud on the verge of popping up.

After a very dry summer (for us), one of my S. flavas bloomed a few
weeks ago. This plant also suffered some abuse this summer from
squirrels digging in its pot, I don't know if that has any effect on why
it bloomed. I have another more mature flava that suffered the same
indignities and did not bloom. I didn't cut the flower stalk since I am
curious as to how it would mature and it doesn't seem like it would take
much energy away from the plant which is eating well.

FYI I live in the North Carolina piedmont within the natural range of S.
flava although you'd be hard pressed to find any bogs left in this area.
Autumn is in full swing here and we've had 2 or 3 frosts.

Phil
URL du jour: http://www.mammoth.com/mammoth/bands/snz/