Question Re: VTF Classification

From: Chris Frazier (cfrazie@unm.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 27 1997 - 00:10:43 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 01:10:43 -0700
From: cfrazie@unm.edu (Chris Frazier)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Question Re: VTF Classification

Jan,
        Do you have a particular favorite classification scheme for the
Droseraceae and Nepenthaceae? You mention that the most problematic point
is the order, but putting these in the Caryophyllidae subclass is also
contentious I would think (as opposed to breaking out a new subclass).
Given that Cronquist is absolutely wrong and Thorne, 1992, also misses the
mark, I was wondering if anyone has actually proposed a higher level
classification for this region of the plant taaxonomy that is consistent
with the latest molecular data, etc. Or if not, do you at least have an
opinion as to how these families could be best arranged based on the latest
data?

Best regards,

Chris

>The most problematic point is the order. It is a group that contains,
>of course, at least Droseraceae. But it could be defined as broadly
>as to contain Drosophyllaceae, Dioncophyllaceae, Anistrocladaceae,
>Nepenthaceae, Plumbaginaceae, Polygonaceae, Simmondsiaceae,
>Tamaricaceae, and Frankeniaceae in addition. While the tree is +/-
>clear, there is absolutely no agreement between different taxonomists
>which node of the tree should be identified with an order. Each of
>the groups may have different names, so you can choose from
>Droserales, Nepenthales, Plumbaginales, Polygonales, and Tamaricales.
>
>This order belongs to a group that is either the sister clade of or
>that belongs as a clearly defined sub-group to (subclass)
>Caryophyllidae.
>
>So we have:
>kingdom Plantae/Metaphyta
>division Angiospermae/Magnoliophyta
>class Dicotyledoneae/Rosopsida/Asteropsida
>subclass Caryophyllidae s.lat.
>order ?/? (see above)
>family Droseraceae
>genus _Dionaea_
>species _D. muscipula_.
>
>Alternative names are separated by "/" above.
>
>Kind regards
>Jan

Chris Frazier
Dept. of Biology, UNM