Rebuttal to Paul Burkhardt...

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 1997 - 21:50:30 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 00:50:30 -0500
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Rebuttal to Paul Burkhardt...

Paul Burkhardt wrote:

> But what's the point? Why add D. capillaris to a bog where it doesn't
> naturally exist? I don't mean to pick on you Paul or anyone else, but I
> fail to understand the reasoning behind just planting CPs everywhere.

Uh... exactly where did I say that was an intention? My wife did just
yank our frozen begonias (BE-GONE-Yooz?) from our front garden... I
wonder what she's planning? I'll keep my eyes open...

> > Again, the simple fact of outdoor artificial bogs at locations
> > anywhere close (defined as a bird's ability to fly from my backyard bog
> > to a natural bog) to a natural bog make most of the introduction
> > hysteria just that... hysteria. Or does the wind know to steer clear of
> > natural bogs?
>
> First off, how important are birds to the pollination and distribution of
> CPs? I would consider it practically nil.

    Gee, I wasn't talking anywhere about birds pollinating flowers
(ahem... hummingbirds)... but on distribution (birds and otherwise):

    Hey Paul, did you know that seeds can float in the air and across
mighty oceans and still make successful landings on volcanic (or
otherwise lifeless) islands and establish themselves? By the way...
seeds can often survive digestive tracts and still germinate. I
believe artificial bogs increase the likelihood of cross-contamination
of natural bogs (Far more then anything grown in my indoor greenhouse).
You would probably respond that this is "unlikely", but in the absence
of scientific testing, who can tell? As far as "adding d. capillaris to
a bog where it doesn't naturally exist...", who's to say it (or VFTs, or
southern Sarracenias, etc.) hasn't tried to establish itself in the past
and for one reason or another, it didn't make it? Maybe there's
something in the soil, or some other component that made it impossible
as a viable alternative site.
    This is why I personally think it's a dumb idea to plant
non-indigenous CP into a natural bog... they would more then likely just
die. It would be interesting to see if the proliferation of artificial
bogs (after all, has anyone noticed the groundswell of CP popularity
lately?) has any impact on natural bogs- I have a feeling that even
without anyone intending for it to happen, there will be "new" plants
springing up out of the moss all over the place. Next question... do we
stamp them out (in favor of legacy plants) when (okay, "if") they do?
    I will be planting an artificial bog in my backyard next year... the
raining pine needles combined with acid rain should work wonders! I
will NOT put d. capensis (CP punks that they are) in my outdoor bog. I
will put some d. capillaris, rotundifolia, and intermedias in there.
    I agree with Dave Evan's statements (and sentiments) from the
earlier post. I appreciate that you (and others) don't.

Cheers,
Paul

PS- Someone's been planting cactii in New Jersey's Pine Barrens...

--
Paul V. McCullough
"3D Animation World" http://www.voicenet.com/~pvmcull