Here we go again...

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 17:01:33 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 20:01:33 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Here we go again...

> > And on the most unlikely possiblity could there actually be
> > some kind of an accidentally introduced vtf in michigan that has
> > adapted to survive the winters. Any info you could give me would
> > be greatly appreciated.

I missed where this snip above came from, BUT I WANT a VFT that can
survive a Michigan winter! (Upper or lower mit?) :)

Dave Evans wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Sure seems like there are a lot of "accidental" CP plantings lately.
> Please don't plant anymore weeds, like D.capensis and D.binata in CA,

Send any and all unwanted d. binata and d. capensis to ME!

> or Sarr hybrids in PA, or Sarracenia populations in the wild at locations
> they don't occur at naturally like planting different rubra subsp all
> in the same location and letting them go wild - Duh!
>
> Some of these (and these are only a few examples I know of) don't
> seem to be much of a problem. The Sarr hybrids in PA are isolated in
> a glacial ditch with nowhere to go. Other locations will be developed
> and the plants killed anyway. I don't feel these are any threat.

I will personally go and uproot these little eco-squatters! Please give
me the location of this ditch. I really want these plants!

> I'm not sure how to feel about some of these situations. I have let
> some of my S.oreophila be planted somewhere in NJ, but I have no idea
> if it "took." (can't see why not, though) This was a while ago, before
> I had a good understanding of the possible ramifactions.

Uh... could you tell me where? A hint? I doubt they took... NJ winters
are too harsh for oreos, aren't they?

> Some people are adamant that there is good to be had and these can
> increase the biodiversity while others are just as critical of such
> events and veiws. So I pose this question: If plants that fill a very
> similar ecological nitch, and are not invasive (like Sarracenia and NA
> Drosera), to some of the native species are introduced into a area will
> harm be done?

God bless you, Dave... if you need support, I'm there. You've opened
the floodgates to pure agony. I just hope they treat you better then I
got last spring.

> I almost always see D.rotundifolia, D.intermedia and D.
> filiformis growing near each other. Would introducing VFT to such an
> area really cause harm?

    Or d. capillaris... I just can't picture that tiny sundew going on a
murderous rampage through the bogs, then making strikes against NJ's
fine cranberry crops. But (!) I will not (as I stated last spring) now
or ever introduce this plant or its deadly pathogens into the pristine,
unscathed bogs. Ever. I mean it. Yes, sir.
    Again, the simple fact of outdoor artificial bogs at locations
anywhere close (defined as a bird's ability to fly from my backyard bog
to a natural bog) to a natural bog make most of the introduction
hysteria just that... hysteria. Or does the wind know to steer clear of
natural bogs?

Cheers,
Paul

--