Introducing CPs into non-native habitats

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 08:27:03 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:27:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introducing CPs into non-native habitats

Hi Dave,

> Some people are adamant that there is good to be had and these can
> increase the biodiversity while others are just as critical of such
> events and veiws. So I pose this question: If plants that fill a very
> similar ecological nitch, and are not invasive (like Sarracenia and NA
> Drosera), to some of the native species are introduced into a area will
> harm be done?

This is a tough question. Different values are placed on natural habitats
and ecosystems and therefore the extent of harm is equally subjective. If
a certain natural habitat is only valued as a 'garden' for CPs, then
introducing vfts, sarrs, etc. wouldn't do any harm. However, if others
value a habitat for its natural history and wish to conserve such a
character of the area, then introduction of non-native species would be
considered very harmful.

If a natural habitat of CPs is doing just fine, then why introduce any
other plants?

Paul Burkhardt