Re: N. Redlanderi history

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 1997 - 18:56:46 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:56:46 -0400
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. Redlanderi history

>The two first "names" were published as
>nomina nuda (in CPN 23:4, 1994). They are by no means valid. NB: I
>was *not* a CPN co-editor in 1994.

Dear Jan,

Thanks for your comment on my describing the N. anamensis (kampotiana)
hybrids, but this brings up a very big issue with me: Nepenthes hybrids.
They are in complete chaos, and a few intrepid souls out there have
tried to put together lists of hybrids, etcetera. New hybrids are being
made at an alarming rate. Some of these crosses are getting complex. I'm
running out of space on my name tags listing family trees. I'm an
amateur horticulturist who likes orchids and carnivorous plants-
especially Nepenthes- species and hybrids. As a scientist, what do you
suggest be done to "register" new Nepenthes hybrids? Use the Royal
Horticultural Society method same as orchids, or use only cultivar
names?

I know this is a big question, but when I look at an orchid hybrid name,
I can track its history all the way back to its beginnings. Nepenthes
hybrids are a wreck, and the situation is not improving. I know your
concerns are more with taxonomy, but I'd like to hear your feedback on
this.

Yours truly,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida