Re: Nepenthes (was new subscriber)

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 21 1997 - 13:38:34 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:38:34 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes (was new subscriber)

On 17 Oct 97 at 21:14, Jason Chang wrote:

> Currently my only CPs are 2 Nepenthes madascariensis from Home Depot, in NZ
> sphagnum moss in a 2 liter soda bottle. It seems that anything less than
> 100% humidity causes these two to wilt. :/ Does anybody know of a
> Nepenthes with attractive pitchers that will grow (and maybe even thrive)
> in 40% humidity?

I'm not sure about 40% - that sounds rather low - does it ever get as
low as that here in England?

But I'm familiar with N. madagascariensis seedlings which wilt as
soon as taken out of a 100% humidity propagator. The ones I grew from
seed a few years ago used to do this - due to inexperience, I was
trying to grow them in almost pure peat, which they evidently didn't
like, so they had almost no roots - hence the wilting. Once potted in
something a bit more appropriate - bark, perlite, still a little bit
of peat, they started to look better and I was gradually able to
reduce the humidity. They are still small, but now growing fine in a
bathroom alongside the other Nepenthes.

I feel that 100% humidity can sometimes be self-defeating. The plant
has little incentive to grow roots if it never needs to take up any
water. I'd guess that reducing the humidity a bit gives more
incentive to root.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden