Re: fungicide/stratification

From: Ross Rowe (Ross.Rowe@dest.gov.au)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 19:16:06 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:16:06 +1100
From: Ross.Rowe@dest.gov.au (Ross Rowe)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: fungicide/stratification

     I have some D. intermedia (not long out of dormancy) which I grew from
     seed a year ago. I sowed them in an unheated glass house in early
     spring in straight peat with no formal stratification. Night time
     temps outside in spring are cool ranging from light frosts (approx -2
     to 10 deg.celsius) to mild or warm days of 15-22 deg celsius.
     Germination or survival was not 100% but it was certainly reasonable.
     Try stratifying some and sow some now without artificial
     stratification.

     From memory I used a general fungicide at the time and once or twice
     since (with no ill effect on these and other common Drosera such as
     capensis, alicaea, binata, spathulata) which is called Mangozeb (or
     similar).

     They are a nice little plant,
     Ross Rowe
     Canberra, Australia

Author: Mars <mars@hacom.nl> at Internet

I've got some D. intermedia seeds which I really want to
germinate. I have to stratificate them first. Maybe you
have some suggestions on how to do this. I've thought of
a fungicide to use, but when I went out to look for some
I only found stuff for fruits, vegetables and roses.
Should I use those? What is a good medium to sow the
seeds in? Any thoughts are welcome.

Bye, Mars

E-mail: mars@hacom.nl The chances
WWW : http://www.hacom.nl/~mars of anything