New subscriber & N. madascariensis

From: John J. Rupp (CH03@MUSIC.STLAWU.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 08:23:39 PDT

Date:        Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:23:39 EST
From: "John J. Rupp" <CH03@MUSIC.STLAWU.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: New subscriber & N. madascariensis

Greetings!

My name is John Rupp and I have been growing orchids for about 25 years
and VFTs and sundews at various times. Like Jason Chang recently posted
I obtained two Nepenthes madascariensis from Home Depot about two months
ago. They are growing very nicely, among a tray of small orchid plants,
are about 3 - 4 inches tall and have some pitchers about an inch in
length.

I would like to know the proper culture for this species. Is it a
highland or lowland species. Most references I have found to Nepenthses
in general on the web has been to give fairly strong light and ignore
it, but conditions depend on whether it is highland or lowland, as does
the potting medium. What is the best potting medium, amount of light,
humidity and water for Nepenthes madascariensis?

Thank you,

John

DR. JOHN J. RUPP PHONE: (315) 229-5856
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY E-MAIL: JRUPP@VM.STLAWU.EDU