Bog orchids!

From: Aaron J. Hicks (ahicks@rt66.com)
Date: Sun Oct 19 1997 - 21:03:11 PDT

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 22:03:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Aaron J. Hicks" <ahicks@rt66.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Bog orchids!

        steve steve <stevesteve@rocketmail.com>

>>From: red1@humboldt1.com (Sylvia De Rooy)
>>Can anyone point me to a source of info on bog orchids that I can
>>include w/ my cp's? Or, can anyone suggest particular orchids and
>>sources for those?

>I dont know much about these but here is a link to a species list I
>found:
>ftp://ftp.nmt.edu/pub/orchids/bog.orchids

        Wild. I get to see my own ftp site referenced. :-)
        The list was sent to me by a Canuck who worked for the nation as a
biologist; it's mean to include all bog orchids that are _found_; I rather
doubt that it would mean many of them have been taken into cultivation.
        I would unhesitatingly recommend Spiranthes cernua odorata 'Chadds
Ford'. The file:
ftp://ftp.nmt.edu/pub/orchids/spiranthes
        will tell more about this genus, and the species I recommend is
available commercially from Barry Glick at Gardenweb:
http://www.gardenweb.com/bbg/spiranth.html
        They grow like mad, and generally multiply three for one each
year. Yeek! I have no affiliation with Barry, and I don't get a nickel
each time someone orders a plant from him, so...

        I also stock seed of South African disa species, which someone
recommended as being satisfactory for CP companion plants; I don't
necessarily recommend this, as I've never tried the two (tried each one
separately, but...). Disas, unlike most CPs, rot at the drop of the hat.
Nevertheless, experienced horticulturists who wish to try disas on
sphagnum (in contrast to _in vitro_, which is rather more efficient) are
welcome to try; germination is rather low. Please e-mail me direct if
interested.
        In other news, I'm looking for another species of Nepenthes; I
grow N. alata. It fails to pitcher, but it grows OK in this low humidity.
If you have propagules of species of nepenthes that are resistant to low
humidity, please let me know. :-)

        -AJHicks
        Director, Orchid Seedbank Project
        Socorro, NM