Re: Pitcher That Nepenthes!!

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 18 1997 - 04:13:39 PDT

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 08:13:39 -0300
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pitcher That Nepenthes!!

>Rand,
>
>You certainly have gotten lots of advice on how to pitcher your N.
>alata! Avoid using hammers, saws, pickaxes, or steamed, baked, or
>served with tomato sauce (after all, tomato sauce is acidic).
>
>Try giving it bright , humid condition. If it has dark green leaves and
>a lanky vine habit, then it is being grown to soft. This will result in
>no pitchers. Too much fertilizer will also give this result. I don't
>know where you purchased the plant, but many of these so called alatas
>are actually alata x ventrata, as mentioned in a previous posting. I
>have found this plant will stop producing pitchers if it "vines out" too
>far. Increase the light gradually and wait for a ground shoot.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Trent Meeks
>Pompano Beach, Florida

Hi Trent and All:

You may have me confused with someone else. I've had my N. alata for years
and as I mention in a previous post, it grows and pichers well for me under
my conditions, without any special treatment. I never fertilize it as it
gorges on wasps when I put it out for the summer.

As far as I know it is N. alata "Boschiana Mimic", so it quite probably is
a hybrid.

The tools are for self-protection, only.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick