Re: Safe Nepenthes

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 11:33:34 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:33:34 -0300
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Safe Nepenthes

>> > It may be relative to the Nepenthes species you are growing.
>> > I do not know about other Nepenthes, but try N. alata on a stick. Spit
>> > at it once in a while.
>> > I can't kill mine with a hammer.
>> >
>> > Rand Nicholson
>> > New Brunswick
>
>> I do have something called N.alata, but it's not that easy to grow.
>> Infact, It's doesn't pitcher without very high humidity... On the other
>> hand, the N.* ventrata (which I was told was N.alata before I got it)
>> is a total weed. (Perhaps your N.alata came from the same place?)
>> Anyway, I hope your Nep doesn't get mad at you, what with you
>> hitting it with a hammer and all. Just might want some revenge (don't
>> leave heavy or sharp tools within it's reach).
>
>Dave, Rand, et. al.,
>
> You realize, of course, that this type of talk about Nepenthes is
>only going to make things worse for that fellow from the Phillipines
>trying to convince his gov't that they're harmless.
> Now mine, on the other hand, are TOTALLY harmless. However, I
>don't grow any of mine of sticks, or leave gardening tools within easy
>reach and the only problem I have with my N.sanguinea is trying to keep it
>from sitting in front of the TV late at night and the N.gracilis just
>racks up huge LD phone bills every month...
>
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>Derek Glidden dglidden@geocities.com

Well, I don't actually grow mine on a stick although sometimes I need one
to beat it back. I do grow it in a mixture of sphagnum, bark and perlite
and it grows like a weed, which of course it is _not_ (for the benefit of
any Dominican customs officials who might be subscribers). I walk it every
other day. It is very well behaved. In public.

Mine apparently does not need artificially high humidity to pitcher well,
but then I am situated between a river and a harbour on the Bay of Fundy
and the normal humidity is probably enough for it. It does dislike heat and
will only grow well in the spring to mid-summer and fall. Then it can
easily put on four or five feet and turn out pitchers that I have used as
wine glasses. Yeah, I cleaned them first. Well, mine anyway.

Your N. gracilis needs a hobby, Derek.

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick