Re:non-peat Nep media

From: Tim Metcalf (hmmetcalf@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 16 1997 - 17:48:21 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:48:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tim Metcalf <hmmetcalf@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:non-peat Nep media

> On that note, can anyone recommend a Nepenthes soil that doesn't
>have organic (peat) componets? I can't seem to think of such a mix
>that would still hold enough water for the plants.
>
>Dave Evans

Dave:
Mineral wool "Par Gro, Cap Gro..." are as effective at water retention as
peat. Fine, medium, and coarse water absorbing and water repelling (treated
with a hydrophobic compound) have been available from nursery supply
companies. It is inert, hence long lasting, but one has to manage the pH and
nutrition carefully. Also, it looks artificial and comes with similar
cautions as silica sand and fiberglass insulation. I have heard it is used
extensively in Europe for many nursery crops.

Tim

Tim Metcalf
202 N. Walnut St.
Woodland CA 95695