RE: SILICA SAND SAFETY RESPONSE

From: drake@erols.com
Date: Thu Oct 16 1997 - 09:39:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 16:39:47 +0000
From: drake@erols.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: SILICA SAND SAFETY RESPONSE

Dear David (and others),
     You mentioned the added expense of a NIOSH or OSHA approved
respiratory mask. The added expense is around $2 ($4 for an approved
respiratory vs $2 for an unapproved "comfort mask"). Getting a
respiratory that actually does what it is supposed to for slightly
more money seems like a no-brainer decision in my opinion; my health
is worth more than $2.
     The risk of working with silica sand IS NOT confined to using it
for sandblasting. In fact, respirator companies specifically state
whether they do or do not protect against "free silica", and those
that do may in fact not protect against sandblasting with silica.
Free silica and sandblasting with silica may or may not require
different respirators. Thus using free silica is indeed a risk.
     Also, silicosis is not the only risk with using silica. Silica
can cause cancer, silicosis, and various respiratory illnesses. Just
as anybody with common sense wears a painting mask when painting, or
wears protective gloves when handling epoxy, everybody should wear a
NIOSH/OSHA approved mask when working with silica sand.
     In addition, genetic predisposition to cancer, smoking, breathing
unclean air, working in environments which pose a risk of cancer, or
breathing dust, etc., COMBINED with working with silica sand increase
the risk. If you think about it, many people have these added factors
which combined with silica sand exposure could lead to health
problems.
     The point is: If you value your health and your life, and those
of any people/animals in the vicinity of your using silica sand, you
should not hesitate for a second in spending the small extra sum of $2
for a mask that actually WORKS, and get the other people or animals
around you inside the house. Personally, taking a minute to put my
cat in the house, closing the windows and doors so the wind doesn't
blow sand particles into the house, and spending an extra $2 to get a
working mask is worth it for my health. I cannot imagine anybody who
would disaggree with this.