Re: silica sand safety precaution

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 07:10:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:10:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: silica sand safety precaution

Hi Susan,

>......... BUT... common sense would lead me to believe that those dire
warnings on >the comfort mask box refer to those who are SANDBLASTING
with silica sand >(something I certainly wouldn't do without the proper
respirator).

At last the voice of reason. Each person should use their own judgement
in deciding how much respiratory protection they need when working with
silica sand. It's true that breathing lots of silica dust over long
periods can give some people a fibrotic lung disease called silicosis.
This is usually reserved for people with occupational exposures because
they tend to have higher levels of exposure for longer periods.
Someone who occassionally mixes sand, does so in an open environment,
and takes a reasonable precaution to position themself upwind need not
worry. Even if you were to breath silica dust few a times a year while
mixing sand, you're not likely to get silicosis. Again, though, you
need to use your judgement in how much precaution you take. If you have
an exisiting lung disease (asthma, emphasema, for instance), I would
suggest taking more precautions by making sure that you are upwind while
mixing the sand, maybe wearing a mask, etc since a 1-time exposure can
cause breathing problems (for instance, induce an asthmatic attach). A
few symptoms that you are being exposed to too much is if you start
coughing or wheezing or have eye irritation. Then you need to back off
a bit. Such a one-time exposure in this setting is not going to cause
silicosis. Use your judgement again in deciding whether or not to wear
a dust mask from a home depot type store, which only provides limited
protection or whether you should go to the added expense of wearing a
NIOSH- or OSHA-recommended particulate filter. Use a filter if you have
a pre-existing lung disease, otherwise, just do your mixing and take
reasonable precautions to limit your exposure.

Since I'm giving professional advice, I'll sign my credentials to let
you know my background <gr>

David Mellard, Ph.D.
Toxicologist