experiment

From: john e. cavanaugh (jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 16:23:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:23:28 -0500 (EST)
From: jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu (john e. cavanaugh)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: experiment

Paul wrote:

>I don't know if this invalidates Andrew's experiment. We all have
>different plants and different clones of different ages. If Superthrive is
>supposed to work on *all* plants as you so believe and suggest, then why
>does it matter to have the same clones in the experiment? A cross section
>of plants of different ages and types would be a valid scientific
>experiment as Andrew had conducted. If Superthrive is supposed to work,
>then it would have been more readily noticed in a cross section than in a
>group of same age clones because it is possible that Superthrive is
>innocuous to certain plants.
>
>Paul Burkhardt

He's right. In fact, it's even more important to have a broad spectrum of
plants, as the effects of the agent may be restricted to specific stages,
ie, seedlings v. adults v. transplants. I myself did a matrix experiment
which involved Superthrive (a matrix experiment is a sort of meta-analysis
where there are not enough subjects to cover all posible combinations of
variables, so permutations which are redundancies are deleted). I found
that Superthrive had no discernable affect on the vft or Sarrs. The neps
showed some improvement, but much less effect than varying light and
humidity. I did not, however, have any truely mature plants to include. The
suggested experiment seems very promising.

Since I am moving on to a real job tomorrow, my email adress evaporates in
about 15 minutes. Farewell all, and good growing!

Please unsubscribe me.

jec

John E. Cavanaugh, MD, MS, DABP
Fellow of Forensic Pathology
Indiana University Medical Center
Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Division of Forensic Pathology
Room 157 Van Nuys Medical Science Building,
635 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis IN 46202-5120
Phone (317) 274-2973 Fax (317) 278-0221
Direct line (317) 278-0462