Re: Nepenthes Mixes

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 22:13:06 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 01:13:06 -0400
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Mixes

Trent here in RB's office. Tim Williams asked about the granule size of
the "mineral" components of my Nepenthes mix. I buy my potting
materials from a wholesale orchid supply company, OFE, in Miami. The
lava rock is medium grade porous reddish rocks averaging about a
quarter of an inch in diameter. The same for the sponge rock, which is
nothing more than large perlite. The perlite I use from OFE is "coarse"
grade, and the pumice is their smallest grade, looking like small, water
worn pebbles. I understand this pumice comes from Central America. I
have tried using vermiculite, but found its flat shape causes compaction
at the bottom of the pot, possibly contributing to anaerobic
conditions. The silica sand comes from a pool supply company (we have
lots of this in Florida), and I've never had a problem with it washing
out. Aliflor is what everyone else seems to call "clay perls", which is
a perfect description; pearl sized clay balls.

Tim, I do not know where you are growing your Neps, but I have found
that spag. peat is a definite plus as long as it is not used as a major
component of the mix. Here in Florida it can break down quickly in the
wet summer heat. I have tried a mix similar to what I use now, only
without the peat, and I found the plants grew slower and smaller. N.
mirabilis echinostoma must have peat in the mix, at least under my
growing conditions. Any comments on this from other Nep growers?

I repot any time of the year, but I prefer February, leading into
spring. Highlanders like to be repotted in December. Repotting
highlanders in summer can be the kiss of death. Keep in mind I'm
talking about my growing conditions in south eastern Florida; a bit
different from the rest of temperate North America, Europe, South
Africa.

I would love to hear from other Nepenthes growers concerning variations
in potting mixes for different species and hybrids.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida.