Re: The FAQ vs my VFT

From: Carl Mazur (ccp@vaxxine.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 1997 - 18:14:25 PDT

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:14:25 -0400
From: "Carl Mazur" <ccp@vaxxine.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: The FAQ vs my VFT

Tim,

In my experience, there are a number of reasons why VFT don't tend to do
well indoors. 1st, and foremost is lack of humidity. VFT, needs high
humidity in order to form large traps, grow strongly, and trive. I find
that from outdoors to my greenhouse there is even a difference in leaves.
Here is southern Ontario, summers are warm 27-33C and humid 60-85% humidity
during the days. And as warm and humid as it is, plants in my greenhouses
where the humidity is on average higher, produce larger traps. 1.5-1.75
inches. The plants outside average about 1 inch. The 2nd reason, is that
indoors there tends to be much less available light. VFT's like full,
intense sunlight. Without the bright sun, plants tend to be long and
spindly (like the ones you find in stores) and traps don't color up. The
3rd reason is constant temperature. VFT grow natively in the Carolinas.
They naturally experience cold weather, frosts. This means that the plants
go dormant, and stop growing. Plant dormancy is mainly triggered by lower
light intensity and shorter days, however, to maintain dormancy they need
cool temps below 5-10C are required. Many people have success growing VFT
indoors, however, you'll find most folks grow them in terrariums, and are
supplimented with lights. Many of the plants are removed and refrigerated
for 3 months.

I hope everything continues to go that well with your VFTs.

Best Regards,

Carl J.Mazur
Cherryhill Carnivorous Plants
Grimsby, ON Canada