Release of the Digital Floristic Synthesis of North America

From: Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 1997 - 19:25:56 PDT

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 19:25:56 -0700
From: Rick Walker <walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Release of the Digital Floristic Synthesis of North America

As many of you may recall, we had quite a spirited discussion some
time ago about constructing a location database for CP.

My prediction at the time was that if we did not do this work ourselves,
then it would be done by someone else outside the CP community. We
thereby miss an opportunity to become the stewards of the information
and to set the conditions under which it would be used.

This has partially come true.

My understanding is that the Digital Floristic database will include all
known North American CP sites along with other rare and endangered plants.

This sort of database is becoming more common. The California Native
plant society also makes a site-inventory of all CA endangered plants
available to members.

Perhaps we should reconsider our apparent deadlock and re-open the
possibility of cooperating towards building a worldwide inventory of
carnivorous plant information?

kind regards,

--
Rick (hoping this doesn't start a flame war :-)) Walker