vft-self fertile?

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 09:19:22 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:19:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: vft-self fertile?

Hi folks,
        This is in answer to Carls question. I have been away or would
have answered sooner.
        In my experiance vfts are self fertile IF the pollination is timed
right. To self a vft I wait until there are at least two flowers open on
the same scape. The female part (pistil) in the middle of the flower is
fluffy, instead of pointed when ready to accept pollen. This is, to my
recollection after pollen has been produced. A natural mechanism to
prevent self fertilization. I wait until there is pollen fresh in one
flower and the rpistil is ready in the other as in standard cross
pollination. To accomplish fertilization I snip the stamens from the
flower one at a time as I use them and rub them over the pistil depositing
pollen. Pollen can be stored for a short time in the fridge. Snipped
stamens being carefully laid onto foil and placed in a film container in
the salad drawer.
        Good luck!
        Andrew