Re: Superthrive alternative

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 13:44:18 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:44:18 -0300
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Superthrive alternative

>>I have seen various discussions about Superthrive on the list. Where I live
>>(Turkey), suprthrive is not available. Can anyone recommend a replacement
>>(such as vitamin B-1 dissolved in water)?
>>Thank you in advance.
>>
>Actually, SuperThrive is quite a bit different than B-1 (I use both on my
>plants to avoid transplant shock, growth encouragements, etc.). You can
>get SuperThrive from a number of mail-order sources here in the states
>(Nursery/Greenhouse suppliers, etc.). You might want to check the web to
>see if any sources exist there ...
>
>KenC

I have been using a very dilute solution of Phostrogen (10-10-29) for many
years as a foliar mist feed, on my Nepenthes and Sarrs, and lately on my
Bromeliads, with excellent results.

I stopped using it on my Dionaea(s), because it just wanted to bloom all
the time, even through supposed dormancy. The plant (eight years old and is
a clump, as one would find in the wild: It is in a 20 cm pot), under my
conditions, seems to grow to a certain size with nicely formed large red
traps (take a hornet) and then either splits its crown or blooms. If it
blooms, then, afterwards, it _always_ splits to another crown. Sometimes
two from the parent plant.

This plant, with one 23cm multiple bloom stalk (unopened as of yet, but
showing white) on the major rhizome, is still sitting outside in a
rain_water filled bowl. We have had three frosts, so far, but no hard frost
in my area.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson