Re: Superthrive

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Tue Oct 07 1997 - 17:37:48 PDT

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 20:37:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Superthrive

Behrad wrote:

> Hey, I've heard alot about this superthrive stuff. I heard it really boosts
> up the growth in cps. If you guys have any information regarding this good
> stuff, please contact me. I would definately like to purchase some.

The issue of Superthrive waxes and wanes through the listserver
discussions. Currently it is in "wax" mode.

Every report I've read on this listserver about the effects of
Superthrive has been anecdotal. What I mean by this is that any
observed positive effect on the growth of cp cannot be indisputably
linked to Superthrive. There were so many other factors involved
at the time, that the purported growth spurt could have been
due to something else besides use of Superthrive.

I stress again, this is the conclusion I have reached from the
reports broadcast on the listserver. I don't know of any other
reports, perhaps including careful experiments.

Having said that, I also add that I have used Superthrive on
and off for several years. I have quite a few healthy
Nepenthes. But, I cannot say that they're especially healthy
because I use Superthrive periodically. The good health of
the plants might be due to application of peat tea, or
maintaining higher humidity, or bugs getting into the pitchers
or....

It would be great if someone could conduct a meticulous
experiment, using many plants of the same clone with some
maintained as controls (no Superthrive). I don't have the
time nor the inclination right now.

Regards,

Perry Malouf