Re: Encephalitis etc

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 11:29:59 PDT

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:29:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Encephalitis etc

Well, not to dredge up old issues, but just FWIW, there happened to be several
news reports in the last few days about encephalitis here in Fl. A few days
ago it was reported that the first confirmed death from encephalitis had
occurred over the weekend in a 68 year old male in an adjoining county. The
only confirmed case in my home county is currently recovering. There are
single cases in each of the two or three surrounding counties. No word as to
whether any other cases exist in other parts of the state. The reported death
is the first in the state since 1990, and these cases are the first since fours
years ago. The worst recent outbreak was the 1990 outbreak, which included 223
confirmed cases statewide and 9-11 deaths (depending on which news report you
listen to).

And just for comparison, last weekend there were also six people in my county
struck by lightning in two separate incidents. Four were hospitalized, with at
least two of those released the same day.

Oh yeah, for those epidemiologists in the group, my county has ~880,000
residents, and the metro area (3 counties) 2.1 mil.

Lighnin' Tom in Fl.