Re: S. purpurea subspecies venosa variety montana

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 14:59:06 PDT

Date:          Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:59:06
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: S. purpurea subspecies venosa variety montana

Dear David,

> Don Schnell and Ron Determann have identified a new variety of the
> purple pitcher plant (S. purpurea subspecies venosa variety
> montana). It lives in the sphagnum bogs of the southern
> Appalachians mountains. I know it's found in Rabun County,
> Georgia, in seepage bogs at the base of mountains. I assume it's
> also found in North Carolina.

The authors (in Castanea 62:60-62, 1997) write:
"Range. Mountains of southwestern North Carolina, extreme South
carolina and northern Georgia." The type is from near Etowah,
Henderson Co., N.C.

(...)

> I would also appreciate it if someone could summarize the distinctive
> characteristics of this Sarr that separates it from venosa.

"...differs from vars. _venosa_ and _burkii_ in that the distal
halves of the hood lobes are closely incurved adaxially and either
touch or nearly touch, and the hairs lining the hood are shorter."

Kind regards
Jan