Re: Re: Encephilitides

From: drake (drake@erols.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 16:05:07 PDT

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 23:05:07 +0000
From: drake <drake@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Encephilitides

Rand said:

"Matt, the _manner_ in which you published this _mis-information_ on a
public List, is what got so many people so upset. Many people that
suscribe to this list live in Florida, or have friends there (as do I).
Yet you are the only one who felt fit to send out such a dire warning.

You _are_ responsible for anything that you say here, or elsewhere on
the net. I suspect that you got less than you could have, under these
circumstances.

Never shout "fire" in a public place unless you can see the flames.

You should have checked your facts before posting."

Dear Rand and others,

It was not misinformation. I don't have to read scientific studies to
report what I saw on the news. It is indeed a potential risk, as TWO
people on the list have reported from personal experience in knowing two
people who had it. Maybe I presented what I had heard with a little
more enthusiasm than some people could tolerate, and a bit of
exaggeration based on my half hearing the news report in the first
place and not getting all of the information. But if it means getting a
serious warning across I could care less what people choose to say in
criticism of my postings.
Sorry if I offended somebody's state pride or whatever. Go ahead and
talk about Phisteria in the Chesapeake Bay, and I won't react with
defensiveness and deny that it is a problem and risk.
Lets just drop this issue and move on. The information is out there now
on the list, I have done my part to at least provide some sort of
awareness about it.
Happy growing :)