Production of new CP varieties and conservation

From: JEFFREY WELCH (WELCH.JEFFREY@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 12:03:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 15:03:58 -0400
From: JEFFREY WELCH <WELCH.JEFFREY@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Production of new CP varieties and conservation

Hi Folks,

First let me say that I have just recently returned from the ranks of the
working dead. I apologize for all the unanswered mail, but if you don't
hear from me in the next week or two, please electronically jog my
memory.

A simple way to begin producing new cp clones/varieties/cultivars is
careful breeding of selected plants. Inbreeding will allow mutations to
surface that may have been hidden and if desirable tissue culture can be
used to quickly propagate the individual clone(s).

The production of distinctive varieties also has the advantage of
making it easier for conservation authorities to watch for wild collected
plants since thousands of red Dionaea aren't likely to come from wild
populations. Yes, I know there is the fascination with locality named
plants (and I feel it also), but would it be so hard to give up Dionaea
"Typical Green Swamp Plant" for a host of cultivated Dionaea varieties?

I really would like to know what folks think about this last point.

Take care!
Jeff