pruning and dormancy

From: Jazmyne Hesseltine (jazmyne@cdsnet.net)
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 16:24:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:24:13 -0700
From: Jazmyne Hesseltine <jazmyne@cdsnet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: pruning and dormancy

Hi all,

I've been reading past archives and have found little information on =
dormancy of VFT or pruning of any CPs.

1) My VFTs are kept in a terrarium in a controlled temp environment at =
about 65-70F <I think - they're at work> I know little about dormancy =
save for the fact that it is neccessary for many CPs to thrive longer =
than a few years.

Question: Do the plants instinctivly know when to enter dormancy or is =
this a phase invoked by the change in temperature humidity and =
barometric pressures brought on by the change of seasons? If the latter =
is the case, what would be a safe method of invoking dormancy?

2) Also, would it be safe to prune the dying leaves? The traps are =
rather unsightly when turning black as they die. I've had several =
people comment on the dying leaves. While most plants turn shades of =
brown, I've found VFTs go from green to black and it looks rather =
scary!!!

3) Will pruning the plants <VFT or Neps.> promote fuller, thicker =
leaves on vines of Neps and wider larger traps on VFTs as it does with =
non CPs???

Thanks All

Jaz
jazmyne@cdsnet.net