Artificial lighting for cp

From: KILSMOOTH@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 14 1997 - 05:03:34 PDT

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 08:03:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: KILSMOOTH@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Artificial lighting for cp

Hello fellow growers!! Bri from Fl. here.....I've been noticing a lot of talk
about growing under lights,obviously as winter approaches...For one thing,it
doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor at all. Before i had my temp.
controlled greenhouse,I grew all my cp under lights,year round.{except for
Sarrs,which remained outside year-round} My Drosera prolifically flowered
like crazy year round and had perfect coloration...Utrics luxuriated and
overgrew their pots,VFT's grew huge,and so did my Nepenthes and
Bromeliads!!...All i had was several shoplight setups with regular Sylvania
Gro-lux tubes{no halide or xenontubes..} ,Kept hmmmm,around 8-10" from the
plants...The water tray method was used for watering. I think the greatest
benifit was perfect light with low heat factors..I even experimented with 24
hr. lighting on the plants with little results though :( One single setup
{from Home Depot} costs about $ 12.00,and can accommodate 10 - 5" pots
nicely....So I,being a believer in Murphy's Law, definitely found this way
sufficient...Hope this is of comfort to some..Any questions??emailme
privately....Enjoy CP!!....Bri..........P.S. Jaz,did you get my message???