Re: Nepenthes Pollen Available

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 16:56:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 11 Sep 97 19:56 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Pollen Available

> My Nepenthes alata 'spotted' is in bloom I can also get pollen from N.
> maxima, N. tobiaca if anyone needs pollen let me know.
> BTW what is the best way to collect store and ship pollen?

Hello Craig,

    I cut off the male flowers as they open, place them in the fridge
in tiny envelopes with the tops open so the flowers can dry out as quick
as possible. Once dry, I shut the envelopes and place them in a small
tupperware container along with silica gel or some other drying agent.
This then goes into the freezer. When mailing, the tupperware container
comes out of the freezer and is allowed to warm up before openning.
This helps in two ways: 1) the pollen doesn't get wet from condensation
(very, very bad!!!) 2) (i'm guessing here) it won't be as "shocked" if
it warms up at a slower pace. I mail the pollen bearing flowers in the
same envelopes using bubble wrap for protection and insulation.
So far I've only mailed pollen twice, the first time seed was produced
(N.ventricosa * N.burkei), but I haven't heard about the second try
yet...

Did the pollen work, Andrew? Was I too late in sending it?

Good luck,
Dave Evans

P.S. try and cut closer the stem than the flower (don't hit it
though!), it makes it easier to handle the dried flowers when
pollinating if their "petioles" can be used handles. Oh, and avoid
gobs of nectar which can glue-up (how's that for a new verb?)
all the pollen.