Multiple responses...

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 1997 - 14:38:56 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:38:56 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Multiple responses...

Jens asked-

> -Is D. capillaris hardy and can it be grown like eg. D. rotundifolia ?

I treat my d. caps just like rotunds... my plants are very hardy. The
caps tend to easily form plantlets from cuttings, too. Cute little
sundews.
-------------------------

Diana Pederson asked-

> I went to check today and after only 3 days, there is
> white mold growing over everything. Is this normal when no soil
> has been used? Didn't I use the right media for planting?

If your talking about that light, feathery whitish gray mold (looks like
frizzy hair), my first terrarium did the same thing. I treated mine by
dousing it in water (which disintegrated it) and then left the plants in
strong (NOT HOT!) sunlight. This seems to be a lethal mix for this mold
as it never came back. You planting medium is fine.
---------------------
Matt asked-

> Does anybody know where wild CP grow in Maryland, southern New Jersey,
> southern Pennsylvania, or anywhere else around those areas? Thanks

Matt, check any of the bogs in NJ's state parks. Ask at the ranger
stations- they'll be glad to point you (sometimes even escort you) to
any of the dwindling sites where CP grow wild. As an alternative- and
to save you from the very real dangers of lime disease infested ticks
(they're all over the bogs now!)- you can also see photos of CP in NJ's
wild bogs at my webpage (tap URL below). Don't know of any bogs in PA
or MD.

-------------------------

Jazmyne wrote-

> I've always been fascinated with the Venus Fly Trap and bought my first =
> a little over a year ago. Well, I didn't take very good care of it (had =
> no clue what I was doing) and slowly killed over four months by planting =
> it in regular potting soil, completely dehydrating it and keeping it on =
> top of my TV, which was NOT a place the sun reached often. Yes, I =
> abused it and I should be shot. Forgive me.

Don't sweat it... it's an unofficial rite of passage for a CP enthusiast
to inadvertently kill their first VFT. But from now on, you'll get the
right info on VFT needs- and we'll be sure to help you with any
questions you have. So... welcome aboard! :)

btw- Here's a real good place to get the right info on CP growing, the
CP FAQ!
http://mips3.as.arizona.edu/~barry/cps/faq/faq2.html
(or visit my page just for the pretty pictures...)

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough