Re: Dormancy Question

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 13:19:18 PDT

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:19:18 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dormancy Question

On 6 Sep 97 at 22:25, MARK POGANY wrote:

> I have been growing S. Psittacina since early spring (this is the FIRST
> time for me cultivating this particular species). I've read different
> things concerning dormancy for this plant. One book says to submerge the
> entire plant in soft water for the entire winter. Living where I do
> (N.E. Ohio) the whole enchillada would freeze SOLID even inside an
> attached garage. Since this plant grows in a sub-tropical environment
> I'm sure this action would kill the entire rhizome.
>
> Could someone that has dormancy experience with this species tell me his
> or her "trick" about over-wintering this Sarr.? Any feedback would be
> greatly appreciated!

S. psittacina doesn't mind being treated just like any other Sarr.
I did once think of trying to submerge mine, but I couldn't find
a suitable container for the water. What surprised me this Spring was
that I finally got round to potting my 4 plants individually - until
then they had been together in one pot for a number of years, ever
since raising them from seed - the improvement now they have more
room has been immense. I had imagined that they wouldn't mind being
left in the old pot, since it's not as if they need repotting to
get more nutrient. So why the improvement? I wonder if the old
soil was degenerating, or do they really grow better just because
there is more room for the roots?

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden