Substitute for peat

From: Mauro (mpeixoto@uol.com.br)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 17:08:29 PDT

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:08:29 -0300
From: "Mauro" <mpeixoto@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Substitute for peat

I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, all my CP are growing in living sphagnum
moss, and I have growing with success, Sarracenias, Dionaea, D. capensis,
filiforme and binata, but the little ones usually are suffocated by the
growing sphagnum.
Now I bought seeds of tuberous droseras, but all literature tell me to
raise them on peat and sand or peat and something else.
Peat is virtually impossible to obtain in Brazil, as well perlite. All we
have is vermiculite, commercial soil for house plants, and tree fern fiber
(we call it xaxim).
Could anyone tell me about a suitable medium for the tuberous droseras
without peat?
thanks

Mauro Peixoto
mpeixoto@uol.com.br