cp food

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 10:01:13 PDT

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:01:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: cp food

Hello folks,
        We did this thread last year but as it has come around again, so
will I. I feed my Nepenthes and some Sarracenia (the purps) with pinkie
mice, rats and slugs, among other things. The slugs I chop in half to
prevent them crawling out later to wreak disgusting revenge.
        The plants grow well, get larger over all, and even trap size
increases in some species. There are a few how ever where trap numbers
increase *but* size decreases. N. sanguinea x macfarlanei did this. It
used to produce 6" traps and had about 10 on the plant at any one time. 1
pink per prpoduced a flush of growth and now a year later I am finally
getting 5' traps again. For a while though it was lots, (40+) of 2-3"
traps on several basal shoots that appeared as well. I said the plants
grow, and do they ever.
        I am coming up with a cook book of recepies for gourmet cp. It
will be out soon here. As a hint though, here is my recepie for a great
desert that I am sure larger cp will appreciate.
                CP slug split
        6 big slugs. Brown ones or striped ones preferable.
        6 table spoons of pill bugs
        6 table spoons ants, carpenter prefered, though for a bit of extra
zing, fire ants can be added.

        Stroke the slugs to 'milk' them of the slime. Save this.
        Split the slug length ways and also across the middle once.
set aside to chill.
        Beat the saved slime in blender til it reaches a high froth.
        Taking the slugs dress them liberally with the frothed slime.
Sprinkle the pill bugs over the top to taste and then add the ants. Big
red ants can be added as garnish.
        Serves several ;-)

        Bon Apatite ;-)
        Andrew