Confused Flava / Bloom

From: Danny Hammons (dannyh@onramp.net)
Date: Mon Sep 01 1997 - 10:52:57 PDT

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 12:52:57 -0500
From: Danny Hammons <dannyh@onramp.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Confused Flava / Bloom

My S. leucophylla and S. flava have been producing phyllodia-like leaves
(winter leaves) since summer got very hot in about mid July. (Temperatures
here have been generally in the upper 90's to low 100's since that time).
I've read that the S. leuc's do this, then start another batch of nice
pitchers in late summer. (I've not seen any info about the flavas doing
this.) A week or so ago, I noticed that the leucs were growing normal
traps again, so I cut off all of the phyllodia leaves on both the leucs and
flavas. All are now producing normal traps again. (Though the temperature
is in the upper 90's still.) Yesterday I noticed something very strange.
One of the flavas has sprouted a flower stalk! Is this normal? Or is this
plant confused? The plant bloomed normally this past spring.
Has anyone ever seen this before?

On another note: I've been taking pictures and will try to update the
homepage in the next couple of days. (The plants haven't changed much
since the last update to the page.)

Danny Hammons
http://rampages.onramp.net/~dannyh