Baking Soda

From: Matt (drake@erols.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 1997 - 05:58:25 PDT

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:58:25 +0000
From: Matt <drake@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Baking Soda

I really do not see where baking soda on CP can be beneficial. As has
been said by others on the list, baking soda is a base and thus will
be detremental, not beneficial, when trying to make the medium more
acidic.
Furthermore, and somebody correct me if im wrong, but i also would
think that since base + acid = a salt, then adding baking soda to
acidic sphagnum moss or to any acidic planting medium would cause a
reaction leaving salt. Since CP shouldn't be watered with tap water
for precisely the reason of the buildup of salts (as well as chlorine,
metals, etc.), then adding baking soda to the growing medium seems
like a bad idea to me.
Thats my two cents on the baking soda question.

drake@erols.com