Artificial light and terrariums

From: MMiller192@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 26 1997 - 10:03:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:03:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: MMiller192@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Artificial light and terrariums

No one has mentioned using high pressure sodium (HPS) or metal halide (MH)
lights to grow CPs inside. They are frequently used to grow orchids indoors.
 In my experience they provide more light than fluoresecents, although over a
somewhat smaller area. For example my light meter shows three times the
light 15 inches under a two-and-a-half year old 150 watt HPS bulb than six
inches under four 40 watt fluoresecent bulbs. At 18 inches, my 2 and 1/2
year old 175 W MH bulb shows twice the output of the fluorescents at 6
inches. This means that you can grow taller plants than you could under
fluorescents.

I have been growing Sarr. VFT, sundews and Cephalotus under HPS and MH for 8
years and they grow well, have plenty of red and bloom every year. I have
found that HPS produces better results that MH. There are several
disadvantages to HPS: the fixtures are relatively expensive (mine cost $110
when I bought and I have recently seen 400 W HPS units advertised for $275);
the color is pinkish yellow; and the fixtures get quite hot. However I am
very happy with my system.

Michael