Re: Sphagum moss

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 14:54:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 25 Aug 97 17:54 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sphagum moss

Hello Jim,

> I have a bag of what is labeled "Sphagum moss". I have read that cp
> can be planted in this type of moss. , I have used peat moss and sand in
> the past. If one plants cp in the Sp. moss how exactly does it grow.
> The moss seems to "fluffy" or "airy" to be a rooting medium. Could
> someone explain this? I just wanted to try it but wonder if I should be
> adding someother material, and if so what. Any advice appreciated..
> thanks.

   I do not feel Sphagnum moss in a good potting medium for *most* CP.
Yes, there are exceptions. It makes for a great medium for rooting
cuttings of most CP, just don't let it bury them too deep.
   Also, when potting plants, I'll take a wad of it to fill the bottom
of larger pots so the soil (peat/sand) won't run out through the holes.
Some type of Nepenthes can be grown in pure living Sphagnum moss, but
I always have trouble with it turning to mold and avoid using it.
You can use it as top dressing in many pots (I'm thinking Sarracenia)
and it seems to help keep the soil fresher, but the plants are well
rooting into the soil below.
   If you have a bag, I assume your moss is dead... This stuff isn't
that good as a top dressing, but better as a soil componet for CP's
which like fluffier soil.

Dave Evans