Re: Terrarium

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 14:32:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 25 Aug 97 17:32 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Terrarium

> I just recently got into CP and am really excited about them! I plan on using
> a couple of old fish tanks to create 2 terrarium. One I plan to grow
> exclusivly Drosophyllum.

   Drosophyllum would not like being in a terrarium at all. Perhaps
you are thinking of Drosera? There many different types of Drosera,
most of which do well or very good in terrariums. The more tropical
the plants are, the better they do inside under lights.

> In the other, I would like to grow a variety of plants the Difficulty
> is the second tank is fairly short. Does any one have any suggestions
> for setting op either the first or second terrarium. Does any one
> have suggestions for what plants to chose in the second terrarium.
> Should I use a full spectrum florecent or incandescent bulb? Any
> suggestions on what to do, or what not to do would be appreciated!

   Then you could grow plants that maintain the shape of a flat rosette
or don't grow up more than a couple inches for your short terrarium.
Full spectrum florescent lighting is a bit expensive. I just mix cool
white tubes with "plant-grow" tubes. The cool white seem a bit yellow
and the pink-purple from the plant-grow tubes balances out the spectrum
fairly well. Save the full spectrum lights for lizards and aquatics.

Good luck,
Dave Evans