FAQ discouragement

From: Matt (drake@erols.com)
Date: Sun Aug 24 1997 - 09:45:07 PDT

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 16:45:07 +0000
From: Matt <drake@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: FAQ discouragement

Im still not quite sure what all the hype about VFTs being difficult
to grow is. From personal experience I have found VFTs to actually be
fairly sturdy plants. For awhile I was giving them insects that were
too large and turned the traps black. I think I also may have
overdosed them with Superthrive (not sure of this). Then I took them
from artificial light to direct sun and burned them to the point of
near death (I suppose thats why they started to look unhealthy). I
don't think any of died, and once I put them back under artificial
light and started feeding them small insects (and spiders, which I
prefer to feed them) they are reviving nicely. Heck, one of the
plants (which wasn't burned, by the way) even flowered. And my
butterwort which is in the same bowl/pot thing as the VFT produced
seed as well. The drosera and nepenthes that were in that pot died,
however. But as far as VFTs, they seem like fairly sturdy plants.
And I bought them from a nursery and Home Depot. (The Home Depot ones
are the ones that seemed to burn in the sun, by the way, but are
reviving nicely now and were healthy looking when I bought them).
Maybe im just nieve to the possible ways of killing the plants, but
ive found that they are quite hard to kill.