Re: D. intermedia 'Tropical' vs. D. roraimae

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Sat Aug 23 1997 - 19:42:45 PDT

Date:          Sat, 23 Aug 1997 19:42:45
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: D. intermedia 'Tropical' vs. D. roraimae

Dear Jonathan,

> trunk of dead leaves, etc... it even tried to flower( which might have
> answered my question definitively) but I cut the scape off, fearing it
> was too young to survive flowering.

This did perhaps save your plants, but it prevented unambiguous
identification. The most reliable distinguishing features are in the
scape and flower details. Anyway, _D. intermedia_ should have a very
long and distinct petiole to its leaves, while _D. roraimae_ has a
shorter one. _D. intermedia_ is usually ascending by elongated
internodes without a "trunk" of dead leaves. If your plant flowers
again, look at the very base of the scape. It should be ascending
with a very wide curve (i.e. almost horizontal for some distance from
the center of the rosette) in _D. intermedia_. This curve (if present
at all) is much sharper in _D. roraimae_. The seeds are absolutely
characteristic. _D. intermedia_ has very numerous, very prominent
bullate papillae on the testa, while those of _D. roraimae_ are
shallow and rather inconspicuous.

Kind regards
Jan