Re: Re: Re: Brazilian Expedition part 15

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 12:45:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 19 Aug 97 15:45 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Brazilian Expedition part 15

Dear Jan & Fernando,

> >> characteristics place it apart from D.communis other than seed shape. And
> >> the size of the plants was just too incredible to be D.communis! The leaves
> >> in D.communis vary between 4-15mm in length, but these specimens had leaves
> >> 18-33mm in length!!

I have seen some very large D.capillaris, some rosettes measuring
over three inches. In poor conditions they are often under one inch
in diameter. I haven't seem them in flower though.

> BUT......... The few young scapes present on the plants seemed too
> fragile to belong to D.capillaris and most of all, by what I know D.capillaris
> have erect scapes. Or are there D.capillaris in N.America with ascending
> scapes? I couldn't remember if D.roraimae had ascending scapes, but believe
> they don't. Unfortunately the scapes did not make it back to Sao Paulo intact
> and I haven't heard any news of them having flowered since.

   Jan, does D. capillaris have ascending scapes? The plant I had
just asked about, last week, has ascending scapes, but your key
seems to indicate erect scapes...

Dave Evans