Ref Sarracenia purpurea venosa bloom time

From: Steven I. Lanham (Steven_I._Lanham@bridge.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 01:19:00 PDT

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 01:19:00 -0700
From: Steven_I._Lanham@bridge.com (Steven I. Lanham)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ref Sarracenia purpurea venosa bloom time

I was checking my plants having just gotten back from vacation we all know how
many times a promised watering never happened! Much to my shock my S. purpurea
venosa is sending up a flower in mid august! This is a plant I have had for
three years and when I got the plant it had only juvenile leaves. I keep it in a
West facing window and under lights and I keep the timer set to 15-30 min after
sunrise and 15-30 before sunset. The flower is 4 inches tall and was NOT there
last week. The plant went fully dormant last winter min temp 28 F max 65 as I
kept the window open 4 or 5 inches and the heat shut off and all but two or
three pitchers died back by spring. Is this normal for the plant to set its self
up for next spring or do I have something odd happing? This is my first sarr to
flower and I just want to know if this is normal.
Thanks for any info Regards Steve I Lanham.