NJ Bogs, Part IV...

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 15:01:28 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 18:01:28 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: NJ Bogs, Part IV...

> Hi Paul and Dave,
>
> I've also read that D. intermedia will only form stems in very wet
> conditions, but I doubt if this claim is backed by any real
> experimentation. I've grown them in both wet and relatively dry
> conditions, and the stem-forming habit was observed in both conditions. I
> tend to believe that stem formation is the natural inclination in D.
> intermedia. Just my observations.
>
> Paul Burkhardt

Paul,
    I would side with you on this one except for the fact that my
observations in the state park showed this to be the case in every
instance. Where ever a d. intermedia was in standing water, it grew
stalky. When it was not in flooded conditions, it grew in the upright
rosette fashion. I guess the only way to tell for sure would be to
collect (GASP!) a water bound and stalky d. intermedia, and transplant
it to a drier environment and see if it reverts to the upright rosette
growth pattern. Or better yet, I could try to track down that park
officer (she seemed to really have a grasp on the CP world) and ask her
what she's observed... She's collected them in the past for the park
station's terrarium.
    I will say that the d. intermedia in my Klima-Gro is not stalky at
all. I have gotten my pictures back from the trip to the bog and will
be posting them soon.

Cheers,
Paul

--