RE: Dormancy in the dark? Clay pots?

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 06:54:16 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:54:16 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Dormancy in the dark? Clay pots?

> Also, I noticed in a book that I was reading that
> clay pots for CPs were a bad idea since they tend to
> accumulate minerals through evaporation.
> Does anyone have an opinion regarding this?

I can't answer your question about mineral buildup because don't use
claty pots. I prefer black plastic pots for four reasons --

1) My CPs sit in at least an inch of water. If I used clay pots I think
the portion that is constantly submerged would rapidly disintergrate.
This is just speculation on my part.
2) Black plastic heats up in the sun which keeps my plants' soil warmer,
esp. during winter. May not be a good idea if you're growing
Darlingtonia or you live in a climate that's already very hot.
3) Black plastic holds water better. Water will evaporate through clay
pots (as you mentioned). This would seem counterproductive for CPs that
you're trying to keep wet.
4) Black plastic looks so attractive! :)

Good growing,
Phil
URL du jour: http://www.theobvious.com/