NJ Bogs, part IV

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 14:47:29 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:47:29 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: NJ Bogs, part IV

Dave Evans wrote:

> What is typical intermedia fashion? Every single mature D.intermedia
> I've even seen has had a stem.... Sometimes It doesn't look like it,
> though, since rain (or something) has knocked the crown over in the soil.
> I have heard that D.intermedia can grow without a stem. Could someone
> tell where such plants come from? Juveniles mistaken for adults?

Dave,
    According to "Carnivorous Plants of the World" (Pietropaolo),
"Leaves usually form a rosette, but when the environment is extremely
wet, the leaves develop on an elongated stem." What you are seeing is
d. intermedia's evolved solution to a rather sticky (no pun intended)
situation. It probably explains the abundance of intermedia, one of the
weediest CP I've seen yet. Apparently any individual intermedia can be
forced back and forth from one growing method to the other simply by
adding or decreasing the amount of water involved. Cool huh?

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough