Re: D.capilaris ID?

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 18:44:23 PDT

Date:          Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:44:23
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: D.capilaris ID?

Dear Dave,

> Finally, I was present when a plant whose ID is uncertain
> flowered. the scape is acsending and the style looks rather the
> same with regard to it width, though where the stimga is, it is a
> little thicker. Is this what the style of D.capilaris looks like?

More or less. It should be broadest above the middle in any event.

> The scape has very sparse hairs about half up the stem, but the
> stem seems rough even where there are no hairs...

There should be few minute glandular hairs or almost sessile glands.
Not really much indumentum.

Wait for the (ripe) seeds. They have very prominent papillae unlike
any other species except _D. intermedia_ (if not examined under a
microscope, which reveals the rather great difference). If you do not
find the papillae, forget about _D. capillaris_.

Kind regards
Jan